At MLG Injury, our Florida car accident attorneys know that there is often a lot of confusion surrounding who is responsible for a vehicle collision, and whose insurance company is liable for the damages that resulted.
In Florida, two things are true when it comes to a car crash with injuries.
First, Florida is also a “No-Fault” auto accident state, which means the driver who is hurt in the crash is expected to turn to his or her car insurance policy for damages, regardless of who caused the accident.
To complicate matters, Florida follows the “Pure Comparative Negligence” system.
That means when there is a vehicle collision, multiple parties can share fault, and the damages are apportioned between the parties based on their percentage of fault.
So, what exactly does a Florida auto insurance policy cover after a crash with injuries?
Florida’s Auto Insurance Coverage Requirements
Florida requires all automobile drivers to have the following insurance coverage:
- $10,000 in personal injury protection (PIP)
- $10,000 in property damage liability (PDL)
Florida does not require drivers to carry bodily damage liability coverage.
This typically means that the injured party must turn to their personal insurance coverage after a crash first.
When the mere $10,000 for medical care is quickly exhausted, the injured party may pursue the liable driver up to the percentage of which he or she was at fault.
For example, if the injured person was only 20% liable for the crash, the other driver must cover the other 80% of the expenses.
Should I Call My Insurance Company As Soon As a Florida Car Accident Occurs?
The first thing anyone should do after a vehicle collision in Florida is call the police.
- If your injuries allow, do not leave the scene of the crash until law enforcement arrives.
- Collect evidence from the scene, including the other driver’s license, registration, and insurance information.
- Record any third-party witness statements and contact information.
- Take photographs of the scene, all vehicles involved, and write down details of the crash.
- Seek medical care immediately to ensure all your injuries are accounted for, and a medical care plan is put in place.
- Notify your insurance company, but DO NOT give any statements before speaking with an attorney.
If you have been injured in a vehicle collision, contact our skilled Florida personal injury attorneys today to learn more about your legal rights and options to pursue each avenue of compensation for your injuries.
Contact Our Experienced Car Accident Lawyers in Florida for a Free Consultation
Contact our experienced Florida auto accident attorneys at MLG Injury to schedule a free consultation today by calling 888-904-2524 to learn how we can help you pursue the liable party’s insurance coverage for your complete financial recovery.