Than Four Combined Decades
Naples FL is the perfect city to explore via rideshare. The city boasts a vibrant ecotourism economy which begins with warm beaches along the Gulf of Mexico, and continues with high-end shopping districts, five-star dining, and world-class arts and culture venues. Taking a rideshare such as Uber or Lyft makes it easy to visit the millions of acres of state and federal preserves, parks, and wildlife refuges or spend time exploring the Florida Everglades.
But, most people don’t realize that Florida has some of the highest statistics for rideshare accidents in the US, with over 300,000 rideshare crashes occurring in 2020 alone. The rise in rideshare demand and accidents caused the Florida governor to set minimum insurance levels for rideshare operators, along with mandatory background checks on rideshare drivers.
Ways you may be involved in a rideshare accident
Rideshare collisions happen for the same reason as any car accident. Distracted driving, drowsy driving, aggressive driving, and even driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs are common in these unfortunate accidents. You don’t have to be a rideshare passenger to file a rideshare accident claim.
Other reasons why you may need an insurance attorney is when you are a pedestrian or bicycle rider, and you are hit by a rideshare driver. Or you may be a passenger in a car that was struck by a ridesharing driver. If either of these 3 situations apply to you, as a rider, pedestrian, or driver of another vehicle, then you should speak with qualified accident attorney about the best way to proceed.
Any person driving for Uber, Lyft, or other rideshare provider must be covered by the proper auto insurance, in addition to the company that the driver works for. A rideshare accident Naples FL lawyer can help explain your legal options when suing Uber or Lyft for accident-related injuries, as long as the driver was logged into their app.
What to do when a rideshare accident occurs in Naples FL
If you are a pedestrian or driving the other car hit by an Uber or Lyft driver on the clock, the first thing to do is to call 911 for both medical help and to have an officer respond to the scene to file an incident report. This documentation will be critical to filing your rideshare accident claim later.
Also, make sure you or someone you are with does the following:
- Document the rideshare driver’s license plate number and insurance information along their name
- Also, get any insurance information and the names of other drivers involved in the accident
- If possible, speak with witnesses and ask if they will share their name and contact information.
- Take pictures of the accident scene, including traffic signals and skid marks
- Finally, if you have any injuries, ask someone to take photos of your injuries.
If you can, find out if the driver was enroute to picking a ride request, actively carrying a rideshare passenger, and whether or not the driver had the rideshare app, on or off. If the app was on and active at the time of the accident, then the company’s insurance coverage would kick in, in addition to the victim’s personal or auto insurance coverage.
What kind of damages can be recovered in a rideshare accident?
When you claim a rideshare accident in Naples, FL, your accident lawyer may seek to recover several damages. Keep in mind that the compensation you receive will depend on who was at fault for the accident and how the rideshare accident caused you harm, physically, mentally, and financially. It must also be proven that the vehicle and driver in which you are suing was working actively as a commercial driver, and that they also have ridesharing coverage under the company they work for.
Here is a list of the possible damages you can recover when you file a rideshare accident claim:
- Medical Expenses – to cover medical bills if a person suffers injuries
- Pain and Suffering – damage for physical injuries suffered
- Lost Wages – compensation for time taken off from work to recover
- Property Damage – property damage to cover the costs of vehicles or other property
- Permanent Disability or Disfigurement – a person is permanently disabled or disfigured
- Loss of Consortium – inability to enjoy an intimate or romantic relationship with a partner
- Punitive Damages – injuries due when a rideshare driver has been reckless
Contact The Morgan Law Group if you have been involved in a rideshare accident in Naples FL. Our skilled and friendly accident lawyers know how to navigate the legal paths to suing a major rideshare company like Uber of Lyft. We offer a free consultation where we will outline your case and discover how much you are eligible to recover for injuries, suffering, and/or loss of compensation.